Jase tagged me with a rather simple meme (no "72nd page of the 4th book in your neighbor's house" stuff here): 7 songs that are grooving your summer. Here, I'll give you the original brief:
List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring/summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.
The only problem is that really I haven't been listening to music very intentionally lately -- I've usually got music on all day at work, but it's just a big iTunes library on shuffle. And my iPod is mostly full of podcasts. But I think I can come up with some songs. And heck, I might as throw them in a muxtape while I'm at it.
- Five Years Time - Noah and the Whale. I suppose this is my summer 2008 happy-fun-song. We heard this song late one night (Sirius 26 - Left of Center) and I was instantly hooked -- only I had no idea what the name of the song or band was. My usual trick of googling lyrics failed at first because all I could remember was "fun fun fun" and "sun sun sun", and that doesn't narrow down song lyrics very well.
- Pollywog in a Bog - Barenaked Ladies. Noah edited that video at Studio Gerdes (and I did my share of hacking away at it) so I've heard this song approximately 7000 times. And yet I still like it!
- FTW - MC Chris. Because of all those podcasts, this is one of the few actual songs left on my iPod right now, but that's OK, because I can listen to it over and over and over.
- Bad Times - The Presidents of the United States of America. I love Chris Ballew. I love Ed's Redeeming Qualities. 2 + 2 = million!
- Good to Sea - Pinback. This is really probably one of Erica's spring/summer songs, but I've heard it so much that it's really grown on me.
- Come On - The Panderers. We saw The Panderers twice this spring (opening up for The Mike Doughty Band both times) and this is a song that really stuck with me. I like how it rocks out in a laid back way.
- Skate With Me - Dgnerate Nation. I like this song (which I discovered through a muxtape) but really it's sort of a stand-in for all the great hiphop and techno that I've been discovering and then that I listen to as background music at work and so I couldn't hardly tell you a song title.
I'll tag Lawrence, because he actually does this sort of thing, and Erica because she doesn't, and Chris, because I have no idea what he's listening to, and you because you're actually reading this thing. There, that gets us up to five.